Notebook - a portable (portable) personal computer. His
body united the main components of a conventional personal computer:
monitor, keyboard, pointing device (usually the touch pad, touch pad),
battery. They are characterized by low weight and dimensions.
The idea of creating the first portable computer with the screen appeared the chief of the laboratory Xerox Alan Kay in the late 1960s. But it was realized some time later. In 1979, the first notebook was released by NASA request. The first model was developed for civilian in 1981 he sells it for $ 1795. In 1982, on Intel-based laptop computer was released by Compaq. Over the next twenty years, laptops have evolved significantly, technologies have been developed to extend the computer's battery life and improve its performance.
There are two main classifications of laptops. The first is based on the size of the diagonal of the display:
- Displays that have a diagonal of 17 inches or more ( "desktop replacement");
- Displays with a diagonal of 14 - 16 inches (the most common "mass laptops")
- Displays with a diagonal of 11 - 13.3 inches (subnotebooks)
- Displays the diagonal of which is from 7 to 12.1 inches and that do not have built-in drive (netbook).
- Devices that display diagonal is less than 7 inches ( "PDA").
The second classification is based on the functions and features of the computer specifications: gaming, multimedia, secure, laptops with touch screen, low cost, mid-range, image, business notebooks.
Features are similar to the functions of ordinary notebook PCs. However, at the same price, the performance of portable machines will be slightly lower. Laptops can be connected to external manipulators (mouse, keyboard), monitor, external hard drives, etc.